Location of Rose Cottage (Eskdale)
From the South
- Leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 for Kendal/Lakes.
- Follow signs to Barrow (A590).
- Turn right to Workington (A5092) 3 miles beyond Newby Bridge and follow this road to Broughton-in-Furness (10 miles).
- Turn right to Ulpha before the River Duddon (3/4 mile beyond Broughton).
- After 4 miles turn left in Ulpha village to the steep hill signed Eskdale.
- Follow the fell road to Eskdale (6 miles).
- Keep going past the George IV pub, over the ratty bridge and into the centre of the village.
- You will pass St Bega's church on your left, then the village shop on your right. After the village shop, the road goes down a hill.
- Rose Cottage is on your right before the first bend in the road. Look out for the white porch. There is parking for one car through the gates by the kitchen door. Please do not park over the Septic Tank Cover by the kitchen door, further cars can park on the road by the cottage.
Please note: if you have satellite navigation, the recommended route often appears to be over Wrynose and Hardknott passes which can be very lovely but are incredibly steep (England's steepest road with gradients of up to one in three), windy and narrow. Following this route is shorter in distance but certainly not quicker than the directions shown above.
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS ROUTE IS NOT USED IN THE WINTER MONTHS, DUE TO ICE, AND AS SUCH IT IS EASY TO GET A CAR STUCK ON THE PASS FOR DAYS - PLEASE USE THE ALTERNATIVE ROUTES AS DESCRIBED HEREIN.
The postcode for Rose Cottage is: CA19 1TL
From the North
- Leave the M6 at Carlisle (junction 44) and follow the A595 (signed Barrow).
- Turn off at Gosforth and follow the road (6 miles) to Eskdale.
- Near the top of the hill, Rose Cottage is on your left, just after a bend in the road. Look out for the white porch. There is parking for one car through the gates by the kitchen door. Please do not park over the Septic Tank Cover by the kitchen door, further cars can park on the road by the cottage.