Location of Rigg Cottage
From the South
- Leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 for Kendal/Lakes.
- Follow signs to Barrow (A590).
- Turn right to Workington (A5092) 3 miles beyond Newby Bridge and follow this road to Broughton-in-Furness (10 miles).
- Turn right to Ulpha before the River Duddon (3/4 mile beyond Broughton).
- After 4 miles turn left in Ulpha village to the steep hill signed Eskdale.
- Follow the fell road to Eskdale (6 miles).
- Keep going past the George IV pub, over the ratty bridge and into the centre of the village.
- Go past the village shop and down the hill.
- At the bottom of the hill, go round the corner and Rigg Cottage is on your right (turn right as though you're going to the village school and park on your right signed Rigg Cottage (No2)). Rigg Cottage is the middle cottage - number 2.
Please note: if you have satellite navigation, the recommended route often appears to be over Wrynose and Hardknott passes which can be very lovely but are incredibly steep (England's steepest road with gradients of up to one in three), windy and narrow. Following this route is shorter in distance but certainly not quicker than the directions shown above.
The postcode for Rigg Cottage is: CA19 1TL
From the North
- Leave the M6 at Carlisle (junction 44) and follow the A595 (signed Barrow).
- Turn off at Gosforth and follow the road (6 miles) to Eskdale.
- Go past the Bower House Inn (on your right)
- Then round a steep corner and Rigg Cottage is the next turning on your left.
- Turn left (as though you're going to the village school and park almost immediately on your right signed Rigg Cottage (No2). Rigg Cottage is the middle cottage, number 2.