Location of Damson Cottage
From the South
- Leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 for Kendal/Lakes.
- Follow signs to Barrow (A590).
- Turn right to Workington (A5092) 3 miles beyond Newby Bridge and follow this road to Broughton-in-Furness (10 miles).
- Turn right to Ulpha before the River Duddon (3/4 mile beyond Broughton).
- After 4 miles turn left in Ulpha village to the steep hill signed Eskdale.
- Follow the fell road to Eskdale (6 miles).
- Keep going past the George IV pub, over the Ratty bridge and into the centre of the village.
- Go past the village shop, down the hill and round the big bend
- Damson Cottage is located in a place called Hollowstones
- There is a left hand turn that is signposted for Hollowstones.
- Drive up the lane, past Irton Road Station, over the bridge and Hollowstones is the first set of buildings on the right. Damson Cottage is at the end of the row.
Please note: if you have satellite navigation, the recommended route often appears to be over Wrynose and Hardknott passes which can be very lovely but are incredibly steep (England's steepest road with gradients of up to one in three), windy and narrow. Following this route is shorter in distance but certainly not quicker than the directions shown above.
The postcode for Damson Cottage is: CA19 1TR
From the North
- Leave the M6 at Carlisle (junction 44) and follow the A595 (signed Barrow).
- Turn off at Gosforth and follow the road (6 miles) to Eskdale.
- Go past the Bower House Inn (on your right)
- You will then see a row of white terraced cottages on your left hand side.
- Carry on for a few hundred yards and then take the next right turn after these cottages (which is signposted Hollowstones).
- Drive up the lane past Irton Road Station, over the bridge, and Hollowstones is the first property on the right. Damson is in the terraced row of cottages called Hollowstones.