The Lake District hosts hundreds of world-famous cultural events and festivals. You can watch farmers show off their livestock, cooking and horticultural demonstrations, cyclists and runners racing up mountains, and live entertainment. These family-friendly events are a great way to experience the traditions that have shaped the Lake District’s history, landscape and economy.
Here’s a selection of what’s on in the Lake District in 2021 (please note that a number of events may not be taking place in 2021).
- The North Lakes New Year Half Marathon - cancelled
- Keswick Film Festival - cancelled
- Derwentwater Head Races - a rowing race event hosted by Lakeland Rowing Club
- Words by the Water, Keswick, 22 - 25 April 2021 - A 10-day celebration of words and ideas.
- Keswick Half Marathon, 2nd May 2021
- Food and Drink Festival, Muncaster Castle - A three day celebration of good food, drink and all things Cumbrian
- Keswick Jazz & Blues Festival - This four day festival brings together an array of top Jazz and Blues musicians from Britain, Europe and America. Over 100 jazz events are hosted across a dozen different venues, all covered by your festival pass.
- Keswick Mountain Festival, 21st - 23rd May 2021 - Jam-packed full of outdoor events, live music, sports events, food stalls, and speakers. The ultimate outdoors weekend!
- Festival of Fools at Muncaster, Ravenglass - Held at Muncaster Castle, this is a wacky festival to welcome back the spring.
- National Trust Grasmere Gallop, 20th - 30th May 2021 - lots of exciting running events from children's races to routes for highly experienced runners.
- Appleby Horse Fair, 3rd - 6th June 2021
- Keswick Beer Festival, Keswick, 4th-5th June 2021
- Boot Beer Festival, Eskdale, 10th - 14th June 2021
- Great North Swim in Windermere, 11th - 13th June 2021
- Cumberland County Show, Carlisle, 12th June 2021
- Light the Lakes, various locations, 18th - 19th June 2021 - lighting up the fells to raise money for the charity Care of Police Survivors
- 10in10 Walking Challenge, 19th June 2021
- The Dalemain Marmalade Festival, 20th June 2021 - The event will take place at Dalemain stately home and Penrith. The main attraction will be the competition marmalades on display in the state rooms at Dalemain House together with the World's Best Marmalades available to taste and buy in the Great Barn at Dalemain.
- Lakes Classic Vehicle Show, Grasmere, 20th June 2021
- Keswick Midsummer Festival - a weekend of free events including Midsummer Rock Concert, Prom in the Park and Scruffs Fun Dog Show
- The Lakesman Triathlon, 20th June 2021
- Woolfest in Cockermouth, 25th - 26th June 2021
- Skelton Show, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 3rd July 2021
- Derwentwater Regatta
- Penrith Agricultural Show, 17th July 2021
- Potfest in the Park, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 23rd - 25th July 2021
- Cumbrian Steam Gathering, 24th - 25th July 2021
- Ambleside Traditional Sports Day, 29th July 2021
- Kendal Calling, 29th July - 1st August 2021
- Cartmel Agricultural Show, 4th August 2021
- Appleby Show
- Rydal Sheepdog Trials and Hound Show, 12th August 2021
- Gosforth Agricultural Show, 21st August 2021
- Lakeland Country Fair, Torver near Coniston
- Hawkshead Show, 24th August 2021
- Solfest Music Festival, 27th - 29th August 2021
- Patterdale Dog Day
- Dufton Agricultural Show
- Keswick Show, 30th August 2021
- Loweswater Show
- Holker Chilli Fest
- Westmorland County Show, 9th September 2021
- Borrowdale Shepherds' Meet and Show
- Egremont Crab Fair, 18th - 18th September 2021
- Eskdale Show, 25th September 2021
- Kendal Torchlight Carnival
- Lakes International Comic Art Festival, 15th - 17th October 2021
- Wasdale Head Show and Shepherd's Meet, 9th October 2021
- Kendal Mountain Festival, 18th - 21st November 2021
- Ulverston Dickensian Christmas Festival, 27th - 28th November 2021
- The World’s Biggest Liar, Santon Bridge Inn