The Lake District hosts hundreds of world-famous cultural events and festivals. You can watch farmers show off their livestock, cooking and horticultural demonstrations, young men racing up mountains and live entertainment. These family-friendly events are a great way to experience the traditions that have shaped the Lake District’s history and economy. There's lots of things for children to enjoy at the shows, from bouncy castle's to face-painting and competitions like 'best young rider' or 'dog with the waggiest tail'. Add in the herdwick sheep found at every event, goats and the occasional alpaca, and it's a fabulous day out for all.
Here’s a selection of what’s on in the Lake District in 2018.
- The Big Sleep, Windermere, 27th January 2018 - Join Cumbria Community Foundation at the Low Wood Bay Hotel for a night of entertainment and fundraising to support vulnerable older people within the Lake District and Cumbria. You are asked to leave the comfort of your warm home, brace the cold winter air and spend a night sleeping under the stars.
- The 19th Keswick Film Festival, Keswick, 22nd - 25th February 2018 - Enjoy a fantastic range of filmes showing at the Alhambra Cinema, Theatre by the Lake and Rheged Imax.
- The Dalemain Marmalade Festival, 17th - 18th March 2018 - The event will take place at three locations: Dalemain, Rheged, and Penrith. The main attraction will be the competition marmalades on display in the state rooms at Dalemain House together with the World's Best Marmalades available to taste and buy in the Great Barn at Dalemain.
- Keswick Jazz Festival, 10th - 13th May 2018 - This four day festival brings together an array of top jazz musicians from Britain, Europe and America. Over 100 jazz events are hosted across a dozen different venues, all covered by your festival pass.
- Muncaster Festival, 27th - 29th May 2018 - Held at Muncaster Castle, this is a wacky festival to welcome back the spring.
- Keswick Mountain Festival, 8th - 10th June 2018 - The ultimate outdoors weekend. Challenge yourself with a world class sporting event, get inspiration from top speakers Chrissie Wellington and Mark Beaumont, then finish it all off with two evenings of live music from Melanie C, Peter Hook & the Light and of course festival favourites the Peatbog Faeries.
- Boot Beer Festival, Eskdale, 7th - 10th June 2018
- Keswick Beer Festival, Keswick, 1st - 2nd June 2018
- Appleby Horse Fair, 7th - 10th June 2018
- Cumberland County Show, Carlisle, 16th June 2018
- National Trust Grasmere Gallop, Grasmere, 2nd June 2018
- Great North Swim in Windermere, 8th - 10th June 2018
- Woolfest in Cockermouth, 22nd - 23rd June 2018
- The Ullswater Fair, Sunday 24th June 2018
- Skelton Show, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 7th July 2018
- Penrith Agricultural Show, 28th July 2018
- Cumbrian Steam Gathering, 28th - 29th July 2018
- Ambleside Traditional Sports Day, 26th July 2018
- Kendal Calling, 26th - 29th July 2018
- Potfest in the Park, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 27th - 29tht July 2018
- Cartmel Show, 1st August 2018
- Rydal Show, 16th August 2018
- Lowther Show, 11th and 12th August 2018
- Lakeland Country Fair, Torver near Coniston, 19th August 2018
- Gosforth Agriculture Show, 18th August 2018
- Appleby Show, 9th August 2018
- Hawkshead Show, 21st August 2018
- Patterdale Dog Day, 25th August 2018
- Dufton Traditional Show, 25th August 2018
- The Keswick Agricultural Show, 27th August 2018
- Loweswater Show, 2nd September 2018
- Lakes Alive, 7th to 9th September 2018
- Westmorland County Show, 13th September 2018
- Kendal Torchlight Carnival, 14th to 15th September 2018
- Holker Chilli Fest, 8th - 9th September 2018
- Egremont Crab Fair and Sports, 14th September 2018
- Borrowdale Shepherds' Meet and Show, 16th September 2018
- Eskdale Show, 29th September 2018
- Wasdale Head Shepherds' Meet and Show, 13th October 2018
- Lakes International Comic Art Festival, 12th to 14th October 2018
- Kendal Mountain Festival, 15th - 18th November 2018
- Taste Cumbria Festival, 8th to 9th December 2018