The Lake District hosts hundreds of world-famous cultural events and festivals. You can watch farmers show off their livestock, cooking and horticultural demonstrations, young men racing up mountains and live entertainment. These family-friendly events are a great way to experience the traditions that have shaped the Lake District’s history and economy. There's lots of things for children to enjoy at the shows, from bouncy castle's to face-painting and competitions like 'best young rider' or 'dog with the waggiest tail'. Add in the herdwick sheep found at every event, goats and the occasional alpaca, and it's a fabulous day out for all.
Here’s a selection of what’s on in the Lake District in 2019.
- The North Lakes New Year Half Marathon, 6th January 2019 - Kick off your healthy 2019 with a half marathon through Lake District scenery. The course follows a relatively gentle route through the Lorton Valley.
- The 20th Keswick Film Festival, Keswick, 28th February - 3rd March 2019 - Enjoy a fantastic range of films showing at the Alhambra Cinema, Theatre by the Lake and Rheged IMAX.
- Words by the Water, Keswick, 8th - 7th March 2019 - A 10-day celebration of literature. This year, festival president Melvyn Bragg will be unveiling his latest novel Love Without End.
- The Dalemain Marmalade Festival, 16th - 17th March 2019 - The event will take place at three locations: Dalemain stately home and Penrith. The main attraction will be the competition marmalades on display in the state rooms at Dalemain House together with the World's Best Marmalades available to taste and buy in the Great Barn at Dalemain.
- Food and Drink Festival, Muncaster Castle, 4th - 6th May 2019 - A three day celebration of good food, drink and all things Cumbrian
- Keswick Jazz & Blues Festival, 9th - 12th May 2019 - This four day festival brings together an array of top Jazz and Blues musicians from Britain, Europe and America. Over 100 jazz events are hosted across a dozen different venues, all covered by your festival pass.
- Keswick Mountain Festival, Keswick, 17th - 19th May 2019 - Jam-packed full of outdoor events, live music, sports events, food stalls, and speakers. The ultimate outdoors weekend!
- Festival of Fools at Muncaster, Ravenglass, 26th - 28th May 2019 - Held at Muncaster Castle, this is a wacky festival to welcome back the spring.
- National Trust Grasmere Gallop, Grasmere, 1st June 2019
- Boot Beer Festival, Eskdale, 2nd - 9th June 2019
- Keswick Beer Festival, Keswick, 7th - 8th June 2019
- Appleby Horse Fair, 13th - 19th June 2019
- Cumberland County Show, Carlisle, 15th June 2019
- Lakes Classic Vehicle Show, Grasmere, 16th June 2019
- Great North Swim in Windermere, 7th - 9th June 2019
- Woolfest in Cockermouth, 28th - 29th June 2019
- Skelton Show, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 6th July 2019
- Penrith Agricultural Show, 20th July 2019
- Kendal Calling, 25th - 28th July 2019
- Ambleside Traditional Sports Day, 26th July 2019
- Potfest in the Park, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 26th - 28th July 2019
- Cumbrian Steam Gathering, 27th - 28th July 2019
- Appleby Show, 8th August 2019
- Lowther Show, 10th and 11th August 2019
- Gosforth Agricultural Show, 17th August 2019
- Lakeland Country Fair, Torver near Coniston, 18th August 2019
- Rydal Sheepdog Trials and Hound Show, 19th August 2019
- Patterdale Dog Day, 24th August 2019
- The Keswick Agricultural Show, 26th August 2019
- Dufton Traditional Show, 31st August 2019
- Cartmel Agricultural Show, 7th August 2019
- Hawkshead Show, 20th August 2019
- Loweswater Show, 1st September 2019
- Lakes Alive, 6th to 8th September 2019
- Holker Chilli Fest, 7th - 8th September 2019
- Westmorland County Show, 12th September 2019
- Borrowdale Shepherds' Meet and Show, 15th September 2019
- Eskdale Show, 28th September 2019
- Egremont Crab Fair and Sports, 20th & 21st September 2019
- Kendal Torchlight Carnival, 27th to 28th September 2019
- Lakes International Comic Art Festival, 11th to 13th October 2019
- Wasdale Head Shepherds' Meet and Show, 13th October 2019
- Kendal Mountain Festival, 14th - 17th November 2019
- Ulverston Dickensian Christmas Festival, 23rd - 24th November 2019
- The World’s Biggest Liar, Santon Bridge Inn, 21st November 2019
- Taste Cumbria Christmas Festival, 7th - 8th December 2019