What's On in the Lake District
The Lake District hosts hundreds of world-famous cultural events and festivals. You can watch farmers show off their livestock, cooking and horticultural demonstrations, young men racing up mountains and live entertainment. These family-friendly events are a great way to experience the traditions that have shaped the Lake District’s history and economy. There's lots of things for children to enjoy at the shows, from bouncy castle's to face-painting and competitions like 'best young rider' or 'dog with the waggiest tail'. Add in the herdwick sheep found at every event, goats and the occasional alpaca, and it's a fabulous day out for all.
Here’s a selection of what’s on in the Lake District in 2016.
- The Big Sleep, Windermere, 30th January 2016 - Join Cumbria Community Foundation at the Low Wood Bay Hotel for a night of entertainment and fundraising to support vulnerable older people within the Lake District and Cumbria. You are asked to leave the comfort of your warm home, brace the cold winter air and spend a night sleeping under the stars.
- The 17th Keswick Film Festival, Keswick, 25th - 28th February 2016 - Enjoy a fantastic range of filmes showing at the Alhambra Cinema, Theatre by the Lake and Rheged Imax.
- The Kendal Festival of Food, Kendal, 12th - 13th March 2016 - The event offers a packed programme with chef demonstrations, tastings, master classes, family activities and a farmers market full of local delights.
- The Dalemain Marmalade Festival, 19th - 20th March 2016 - The event will take place at three locations: Dalemain, Rheged, and Penrith. The main attraction will be the competition marmalades on display in the state rooms at Dalemain House together with the World's Best Marmalades available to taste and buy in the Great Barn at Dalemain. The theme for 2016 is, “Paddington Bear Loves Marmalade”.
- Keswick Jazz Festival, 12th - 15th May 2016 - This four day festival brings together an array of top jazz musicians from Britain, Europe and America. Over 100 jazz events are hosted across a dozen different venues, all covered by your festival pass.
- Keswick Mountain Festival, 19th - 22nd May 2016 - Returning to Crow Park, enjoy outdoor activities, speakers, sporting events, camping and live music at this weekend event.
- Muncaster Festival, 29th - 31st May 2016 - Held at Muncaster Castle, this is a wacky festival to welcome back the spring.
- Boot Beer Festival, Eskdale, 9th - 12th June 2016
- Keswick Beer Festival, Keswick, 3rd - 4th June 2016
- Appleby Horse Fair, 2nd - 9th June 2016
- Cumberland County Show, Carlisle, 11th June 2016
- National Trust Grasmere Gallop, Grasmere, 4th June 2016
- Great North Swim in Windermere, 10th - 12th June 2016
- Woolfest in Cockermouth, 24th - 25th June 2016
- The Ullswater Fair, Sunday 26th June 2016
- Skelton Show, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 2nd July 2016
- Penrith Agricultural Show, 23rd July 2016
- Cumbrian Steam Gathering, 30th - 31st July 2016
- Ambleside Traditional Sports Day, 28th July 2016
- Kendal Calling, 28th - 31st July 2016
- Potfest in the Park, Hutton-in-the-Forest, 29th - 31st July 2016
- Cartmel Show, 3rd August 2016
- Rydal Show, 11th August 2016
- Lowther Show, 13th and 14th August 2016
- Lakeland Country Fair, Torver near Coniston, 21st August 2016
- Gosforth Agriculture Show, 20th August 2016
- Appleby Show, 20th August 2016
- Hawkshead Show, 23rd August 2016
- Patterdale Dog Day, 27th August 2016
- Dufton Traditional Show, 27th August 2016
- The Keswick Agricultural Show, (cancelled in 2016)
- Loweswater Show, September 2016
- Westmorland County Show, 8th September 2016
- Kendal Torchlight Carnival, 9th September 2016
- Holker Chilli Fest, 10th - 11th September 2016
- Egremont Crab Fair and Sports, 17th September 2016
- Borrowdale Shepherds' Meet and Show, 18th September 2016
- Eskdale Show, 24th September 2016
- Wasdale Head Shepherds' Meet and Show, 8th October 2016
- Words by the Water, Keswick, 4th - 13th November 2016
- Kendal Mountain Festival, 17th - 20th November 2016