Location of Swallowdale
From the South:
- Leave the M6 at Junction 36.
- Follow signs towards Kendal.
- After a couple of miles take the slip road to the A590 (signed Barrow)
- At the roundabout take the first exit still onto the A590 towards Barrow.
- After approximately 6 miles, at Newby Bridge, take the 2nd exit at the roundabout to remain on the A590 towards Barrow
- After Newby Bridge rise up the hill on the A590. It is dual carriageway, then single for a while and then, not long after it duals again take the left-hand fork signed to Haverthwaite. The Haverthwaite railway is on the right-hand side ie the opposite side of the road at this junction.
- Then you will pass the Angler’s arms shortly on your right-hand side.
- The road is quite narrow and there are bends for about half a mile – take care!
- It then widens and at the T-junction turn right and shortly afterwards enter Haverthwaite.
- Rise up the hill and then go round a tight-right-hand bend.
- Immediately after the bend there is a tiny lane forking and rising like a slip-road on the left-hand side, take this lane
- This rises up to Swallowdale which is right in front of you - the first house (on the end).
- There is parking by the front of the cottage for 1-2 cars, any further cars should park on the road (instead of taking the tiny lane forking to the house, keep going for 20 yards and park on the right hand side there).
The post code for Swallowdale is LA12 8AE. Please follow the above directions to help you find the cottage as the postcode does cover a wider area.