Location of Smithy Cottage
From the North or South
- Take Junction 36 off the M6 and take the A590 signposted for Kendal and Barrow
- After three miles stay in the left lane and take the turning signposted for Lake District Peninsulas to remain on the A590
- Follow the A590 for 14.5 miles past the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway on your right
- Take the right hand turning signposted for Grizedale, Rusland and Bouth
- Follow the brown tourist signs and all signs to Grizedale
- Continue on through Rusland (a small hamlet)
- After 2 miles take the left turn off signposted Grizedale, Satterthwaite and Hawkshead
- At the next junction turn left which is signposted to Rusland and Ulverston
- You will head over a bridge with a red telephone box on the opposite side, keep left here
- After 0.4miles you will come to a group of cottages on your left hand side.
- The turning for Smithy Cottage is after the first row of cottages opposite a ‘Public Footpath’ sign. If you reach a cottage and old barn on your right hand side you’ve gone too far.
The postcode for Smithy Cottage is LA12 8LE. Please follow the above directions to help you find the cottage.