Iveing Cottage North accommodation summary
Boot / drying room,
1x King-size bedroom,
1x Bedroom with four-poster double & 3ft single day bed,
1x Twin bedroom,
1x Single bedroom,
Bathroom with bath and basin.
Shower room with WC and basin.
Shower room with two showers.
Two separate WCs.
1 x king-size bedroom, 1 x single, 1 x toilet & washbasin room.
Small patio with bench.
Small additional seating area with two benches.
There is a parking area for up to three cars, blocking two in with the third. Additional free parking is available on the road in front of the cottage and nearby, but please take care when choosing your spot, as some is restricted, and some is unrestricted.Other Info
Arrival Time: 17:00
Departure Time: 9:30
The beds will be made up for you, please remember to bring your own towels
A cot is available for children under the age of 2 (please bring your own cot linen)
A high chair is available
The house is heated by gas central heating
WiFi access is available at the property
2 dogs are welcome at an additional charge of £20.00 per dog
The cottage is non-smoking
We ask for a damage deposit of £200. This will be returned in the fortnight following your stay.
This cottage accommodation is usually spread across three floors and has steps and stairs everywhere so is not suitable for those with limited mobility.
For all enquiries please get in touch on [email protected]General Description
Based in the Ambleside Conservation Area with fabulous views of Loughrigg Fell, Iveing Cottage North forms the major portion of a once grand Lakeland house C1800. More recently Iveing Cottage was operating as a large 60 bed hostel but following alterations to the buildingis now a smaller hostel offering spacious, comfortable self catering accommodation to groups and families of up to 10 people at present.
Entry into the cottage from the parking area is down 4 steps to a covered porch. To the right is a laundry room with a washing machine, tumble dryer and sink. There is also space in the laundry room to store 2/3 bikes securely. The main door opens into the boot room with small sink, where boots, shoes and outdoor gear can be stored and dried. Ideal for dogs.
The kitchen opens out from the boot room. It has been updated to be more homely since the days of the large Ambleside Backpackers Hostel but usefully still contains many of the commercial features required for a kitchen of this size. The kitchen is well stocked with crockery and pots and pans, as you would expect, and contains a gas range cooker with large oven and 5 ring gas hob, separate electric grill, a microwave, a large fridge-freezer, two toasters, a hot water urn , two large sinks and two draining boards. It also includes a kitchen table with six seats next to a window that faces onto the quiet Old Lake Road (a small lane in reality).
Walk along the hallway (take a look in the storage cupboard to find the stairs to the old servants' entrance) the dining room is on your right and the living room straight ahead. The characterful dining room, with its original plaster ceiling and fireplace C1800, seats 10 guests. A door opens out to a small hedged area in which two benches are located. The windows along the front of the cottage are all original and flood the rooms with natural light and are fitted with the original and operable wooden shutters. The living room seats 10 guests comfortably and features a wood burning stove and Freeview TV. Starter box of logs provided.
The first floor is laid out as follows:
- Bedroom 1: The master bedroom with a king size bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers and wash basin. Fabulous views through a large window over Ambleside rooftops towards Loughrigg Fell (all bedrooms on the first floor share this view).
- Bedroom 2: Single 3ft day bed and chest of drawers.
- Bedroom 3: Twin beds, clothes rail, chest of drawers and wash basin.
- Bedroom 4: 4 poster bed (double), 3ft single day bed , wardrobe and chest of drawers. The daybed can be used if the room is occupied by 2 people who do not wish to share a bed. Bedding will be left for guests to make up this bed if required.
- Bathroom with bath and basin
- Refurbished shower room with shower, WC and basin
- Basic shower room with 2 wash basins and 2 curtained shower cubicles
- Basic shower room with 2 showers each with an enclosed changing cubicle (Closed at present)
- 2 x WC's
The second floor is laid out as follows:
- Bedroom 5: King size bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, Velux window with a blackout blind, small dormer window and wash basin.
- Bedroom 6: Single bed, chest of drawers, Velux window with blackout blind.
- Bedroom 7: Five single beds, two chests of drawers, 3 Velux windows with blackout blinds. (Currently closed)
- Basic shower room containing one electric shower. (Currently closed)
WC. and washbasin
Outside is room for three cars to park on the driveway, a small paved patio with a garden bench and a small grassed area outside the dining room with two small benches. The garden around the parking area is very steep and rough with a small stream that plunges into a deep culvert. Sorry but, for safety reasons, this garden area is strictly out of bounds to all guests.