Hemel Hempstead Family
* 3 mins from Haweswater Reservoir, 10 mins from the bottom car park - lots of great scenery - treat yourself to a lunch or dinner at the Haweswater hotel if possible(£££'s though);
* lots of local walks and beautiful scenery, even in the rain;
* cottage is very warm and cosy;
* genuine Olde world feel throughout the cottage and spacious sitting room with good sized log burner;
* good value for money;
* good proximity to M6 (Shap exit) and to the other Lakes, Grasmere and Ambleside if you want tourist/culture trips;
* really good fish and chip shop in Shap;
* most people will actually say "hello" if you talk to them, so humans are there;
* Greyhound Inn at Shap has excellent food which is reasonably priced (portions are large). The place is quirky including the staff!
* you will need to drive for any supplies, with the exception of logs for fire, so perhaps go well stocked if you want to get away from everyday life;
* local pubs (Crown & Mitre and Mardale? in Bampton) appear to be mothballed in the Autumn/Winter months until 'Spring' so expect to drive to a pub/restaurant during those times;
Really nice place overall and I loved the changing landscapes during the heavy rain and sleet.
Published on: 18 March 2020
H Paul, very many thanks for leaving such detailed comments - I know other visitors will appreciate them. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Here's to more Lakes escapes!