Location of Haystacks (Underhill)
From the North and South
- Leave the M6 Motorway at Junction 36 follow the signs north for Barrow or Workington on the A590.
- Follow the A590 for 21 miles.
- At Greenodd, take turn right onto the A5092 (It becomes the A595 at Grizebeck) and follow the A595 for a further 14 miles. As you approach Duddon Bridge, which is controlled by traffic lights, don't forget to phone the cottage owner on 01229 247 767.
- Look out for a large green road sign direction Workington/Whitehaven/Millom/Hallthwaites posted shortly before St Anne's Church and take the second left turn in the direction of Millom A5093.
- Follow the A5093 for 1.4 miles until a small sign on your right-hand-side directs you to a left-hand-turn to Underhill. There is a 20mph speed limit as you turn left, just before a large white cottage. (WARNING! Your sat nav might try to direct you to turn left before you reach the correct turning; you can take this lane, but it is extremely narrow in places!)
- Follow the lane (either lane!) for 0.2 miles until you see two signs signalling 30mph speed limit. Just before these signs, there is a sharp right-hand turn into a lane, which you should take.
- Within a few meters of turning onto the lane, you will see a gravel car park, which is where you should park. This is shared by Underhill Farmhouse and Haystacks cottages, which are next to the car park.
The postcode for Haystacks is LA18 5HE.