Location of Gowrie
From the South
• Leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 for Kendal/Lakes.
• Follow signs to Barrow (A590).
• 5 miles after Newby Bridge, turn right to Workington (A5092).
• Follow this road for 11 miles to Broughton-in-Furness.
• Turn right to Ulpha (1 mile after Broughton).
• After 4 miles turn left in Ulpha village and follow the steep fell road.
• Follow the fell road to Eskdale (6 miles).
• Keep going past the George IV pub
• Go over the little railway bridge and into the centre of the village.
• You will pass St Bega's church on your left, then the village shop on your right.
Gowrie is the third house to your left, past the Randlehow road. It is a large white building with brown corners.
Parking for 2 cars is available in front of the garage next to the property. Additional free, public parking is available further up the road, only a few seconds walk from Gowrie.
Please note: If you are using satellite navigation, the recommended route often appears to be over Wrynose and Hardknott passes which can be very lovely, but are incredibly steep (England's steepest road with gradients of up to one in three), windy and narrow. Following this route is shorter in distance but certainly not quicker than the directions shown above.
We strongly recommend this route is not used in the winter months, it is in fact often closed over the winter months as it is impassable due to ice and snow.
The postcode for Gowrie is: CA19 1TL
From the North
• Leave the M6 at Carlisle (junction 44) and follow the A595 (signed Barrow).
• Turn off at Gosforth and follow the road (6 miles) to Eskdale.
• On top of the hill, Gowrie will be to your right
• It is the large white house with brown corners and a garage next to it (if you reach the Eskdale Green village shop on your left, then you have gone slightly too far).
Parking for 2 cars is available in front of the garage next to the property. Additional free, public parking is available further up the road, only a few seconds walk from Gowrie. The postcode for Gowrie is: CA19 1TL