Location of The Coach House (Eskdale)
From the South
- Leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 for Kendal/Lakes.
- Follow signs to Barrow (A590).
- Turn right to Workington (A5092) 3 miles beyond Newby Bridge and follow this road to Broughton-in-Furness (10 miles).
- Turn right to Ulpha before the River Duddon (3/4 mile beyond Broughton).
- After 4 miles turn left in Ulpha village to the steep hill signed Eskdale.
- Follow the fell road to Eskdale (6 miles).
- Keep going past the George IV pub, over the ratty bridge and into the centre of the village.
- You will pass St Bega's church on your left, then the village shop & Post Office on your right. Just after the village shop, turn left down Randlehow road.
- The Coach House at The Orchards is on the left hand side aprroximately 250 yards down the lane
Please note: if you have satellite navigation, the recommended route often appears to be over Wrynose and Hardknott passes which can be very lovely but are incredibly steep (England's steepest road with gradients of up to one in three), windy and narrow. Following this route is shorter in distance but certainly not quicker than the directions shown above.
The postcode for The Coach House is CA19 1UA
From the North
- Leave the M6 at Carlisle (junction 44) and follow the A595 (signed Barrow).
- Turn off at Gosforth and follow the road (6 miles) to Eskdale.
- Keep going up the hill and as it levels out you will see the village shop on your left.
- BEFORE the village shop is a road to your right called Randlehow. Turn down here.
- The Coach House at The Orchards is on the left hand side approximately 250 yards down the lane. The entrance to the property is through a gap at the end of the wall and through the stable door at the front of the Coach House.
- Go through the gate, along the driveway until you reach a drystone wall.