Location of Browside (Duddon Valley)
From the South
- Leave the M6 motorway at junction 36 for Kendal/Lakes
- Follow signs to Barrow (A590)
- Turn right to Workington (A5092) 3 miles beyond Newby Bridge and follow this road for 10 miles (it bypasses Broughton-in-Furness)
- Turn right to Ulpha before the River Duddon (at the traffic lights 3/4 mile beyond Broughton)
- Follow this road for almost 9 miles (it's narrow and twisty)
- Brow Side is through a farm gate on your right (just beyond Troutal Farm which is on your left)
- It's up a farm track, that is steep in places and not suitable for cars with a low wheelbase.
Please note: if you have satellite navigation, the recommended route often appears to be over Wrynose and Hardknott passes which can be very lovely but are incredibly steep (England's steepest road with gradients of up to one in three), windy and narrow. Following this route is shorter in distance but certainly not quicker than the directions shown above.
The postcode for Brow Side is: LA20 6EF.
**Please note, if making a booking for dates in July and the first half of August, the bridge at Seathwaite will be closed for repair between 19th July and 27th August 2021 and therefore approach to the cottage must be from Wrynose Pass. Please do take care here as the road is very steep, narrow and windy. (Supermarket deliveries may also not be possible during this time because of the road closure, so we'd encourage you to make enquiries with the supermarket before placing an order.)**